Saturday, January 12, 2008

Jay Turner Takes Over For Oak Harbor

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2004119082_prepnotes11.html

Head coach, Dave Ward, stepped down after holding the position for 17 years. I don't know anything about Jay Turner, but he is a hand picked successor. There is no reason to think that he isn't capable of continuing what Ward started.

I didn't see much of Ward's teams, but really liked what I saw. The most memorable game for me was when the Wildcats beat Gonzaga Prep in the semifinals last year. With nearly half of the second quarter gone, the Bullpups led 10-0 and Oak Harbor had run only 3 offensive plays in the entire game. The combination of playing on the road and having no answer for G-Prep's option, I figured the game was pretty much over. Well, Marshall Lobbestael & Co. found a way to not only stop their offense, but got the passing game going as well. In the end the undersized Oak harbor team prevailed, 14-10. They were as resiliant of a team as I've ever seen, going on to win the state championship.

This past season I thought they proved themselves not to be a "lightning in a bottle" team by having an undefeated regular season and making it all the way to the quarterfinals. I'm looking forward to seeing it continue. Good luck, Coach Turner.

No comments: